Email and Web Security End of Life Policy
Products reach the end of their product life cycle for a number of reasons. These reasons may involve market demands, technology innovation, and development resulting in changes to the product. Products may also simply mature over time, to be replaced by functionally richer technology. While this is an established part of the overall product life cycle, Cisco recognizes that end-of-life and end-of-sale milestones often prompt companies to review the way these milestones impact the Cisco products in their networks. With that in mind, we have outlined below the Cisco end-of-life policy to help customers better manage this transition. It will also help you understand the role Cisco can play in helping to migrate to alternative Cisco platforms and technology.
The End of Life Policy only applies to end of life and end of sale announcements made in all theaters on or after July 1, 2015 for all email, web, and management security product lines. The policy does not apply to products that are already subject to end of life and/or end of sale announcements.
The general policy guidelines are:
- As a general rule, Cisco will provide 6 months' notice of the affected hardware product's end-of-sale date and/or the last day when the affected product can be ordered. For software, Cisco will provide 3 months' notice of the affected software's end of sale date. This notice will appear on the Cisco.com site End of Life page. We encourage you to visit this site regularly, as it contains useful information regarding the Cisco end-of-life program. Sign up at the Cisco Notification Service to receive notifications.
- Access to the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) will be available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for a period of 5 years from the end-of-sale date for hardware and operating system software issues, and for a period of 3 years from the end-of-sale date for application software issues.
- Spares or replacement parts for hardware will be available for a period of 5 years from the end-of-sale date. We will provide spares and replacement parts in accordance with our Return Materials Authorization (RMA) process.
- Software support will be as follows:
- For the first year following the end-of-sale date, we will provide bug fixes, maintenance releases, workarounds, or patches for critical bugs reported using the TAC or Cisco.com website.
- After the first year and for operating system software - where available - we will provide bug fixes, maintenance releases, workarounds, or patches for a period of 4 years for operating system software. Bear in mind that it may be necessary to use software upgrade release to correct a reported problem.
- After the first year and for application software - where available - Cisco will provide only Critical Software Support. This is defined as network services impacting bugs or security vulnerabilities that have been identified by the customer to Cisco TAC, and subsequently qualified using Cisco's normal evaluation process for a period of 2 years for application software. Bear in mind that, if this is not the last supported image on the hardware, it may be necessary to use a software upgrade release to correct a reported problem.
- You will need to ensure that you have a current and fully paid support contract with Cisco. Please contact your Support Account Manager regarding fees payable during the end-of-life period so we can support you right through the end-of-life transition period.
- Below are guidelines that should be followed to help ensure you receive effective support for the affected products within your network:
- For hardware or software not covered under a service contract, customers may add the product(s) to a current contract, or purchase a new contract until 12 months after the end-of-sale date.
- Service contracts that have not been renewed or have lapsed after 12 months of end-of-sale date are not renewable.
- Renewal of your service contract will generally be available until the last year of support, but will not extend beyond the last date of support.